People Like You Countdown (3 Days to Publication!). Margaret Malone and The Timberline Review.

In advance of the official November 17th release of Margaret Malone's People Like You,we're featuring a series of posts about this phenomenal debut, of which Lidia Yuknavitch, author of The Chronology of Water and The Small Backs of Children, says: 
"This is the book I am personally going to put into peoples’ hands the moment it gets born. The stories in Margaret Malone’s collection People Like You will blow your mind, steal your heart, and leave your DNA rearranged. Her writing is brilliantly urgent and alive. The biggest mouth-to-mouth resuscitation of storytelling I’ve seen in years."



(By the way, People Like You is already in stock at Atelier26 HQ and can be ordered now. All orders ship within 24 hours!) 

Timberline:I wanted to ask you about the title of your story, "Yes" and how or when you know the title of something you're working on. Is it before you start, when you finish, somewhere in between? 

Malone: Titles are really hard for me. I always work title-less through drafts until a possible one occurs to me but I almost never use the first one I think of. I have to live with them for a long time (usually) before the right one makes itself known. The title for "Yes" came pretty late in the process, after years, but as soon as it popped in my head, it was like every single piece of the story fell into place.

Margaret's story "Yes," which appeared in the inaugural issue of The Timberline Review, is also included in People Like You. She will read the story entire during The Timberline Review's cover-to-cover reading of the first issue this Tuesday, 11/17 in Portland (O'Connor's Pub, Multnomah Village).

 Read the full Timberline/Malone Q&A HERE.